Digital human creation with Reallusion: Multi-part outfit part 3

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:59 pm by nemirc


This time I finish the multi part outfit, and I adjust it to my custom character. As you can see from the first picture, the outfit doesn’t look quite good around the breasts area, because my custom character has larger breasts (overall, the custom character has bigger proportions but the breast area is the one with more issues). Another problem I ran into is the skirt-blouse seam. I had made the skirt and top as separate objects, because I wanted to mix and match with other outfits. However, problems arise when I use the mesh modification tools to adjust the skirt around the waist area, because the skirt and top vertices no longer align at the edges, causing undesirable “openings” in that area. To fix that, I merged both objects in Maya, welding the vertices, and then reimported it into Character Creator 3, to have a single piece. 

Going back to the breasts problem, I got rid of those “creases” around the breasts with a combination of manual vertex pulling and the paint tools using the smooth mode. To make it easier, I reverted the breast size to default and then gradually increased it until I reached the original setting, adjusting the area around the breasts every time I increased the value. This way, I could get rid of the creases gradually, making my work a lot easier. Then, I used the “Proximity” setting on the breasts to create a cleavage, and adjusted the center part of the dress’ breast area to make it look more like how those outfits look in real life.

 

Another thing I did was make more adjustments to the skirt, bending the legs sideways to fix any interpenetration caused by this. 

Moving on to the cape, the original weighting had huge interpenetration issues, so I had to fix those as well. 

Lastly, I edited the textures of the high heels to make them fit the skirt.  

To do this, I went to the Materials list and selected the shoes material. There, I picked the Base Color texture and used the buttons below the texture boxes to export it. In Photoshop, I changed the color of the texture and then I imported the modified texture into CC3 to replace the previous one. 

The image below shows the full outfit from different views. 

As I said, this is a character for a game. However, this game doesn’t need high resolution characters like Just Let Me Go, so I reduced the polygon count. The first thing I did was to convert the character to a game character using the “Convert to Game Base” button in the Modify pane. Then, I just made low resolution versions of the dress and the cape (using the exported game-resolution body as a template) and converted those to clothing. The reason I did this rather than using the LOD generation was to have more control over the final result. Also, for this game character I will simply paint the stockings on top of the skin, so I won’t need stocking models. The hair, on the other hand, was simply optimized using the LOD generation inside CC3. 

This character is going to be used in Unity, however, I am using Unity 2017, and the CC auto-setup tools for Unity don’t work on that version, so I will have to manually setup the character to be used in that engine.  

And this is it. I hope you found this article useful. 

Visit Reallusion’s website: https://www.reallusion.com/ 






Sign up for our newsletter

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience possible More Info
Got it!