Welcome back. This time I continued working on my scene, and made a few changes to it. First, I removed the window lights because I decided I will focus on that later, and then I added a table and a lamp. Just like with the other objects, I made the materials for those (actually the table shares the same materials as the door and window frames).
Testing the real time renderer in the viewport, this is the result after I remove all the lights and just add a point light inside the lamp.
Setting up the lighting for this kind of lamps is pretty straightforward (you just place two spot lights, one pointing up and one pointing down, to simulate the lamp’s cover), but I opted not to do it right now, because I will work on fancier lighting in a future iteration of the scene. For this test I decided to just add another point light to simulate a light bulb off camera.
The wood was not really looking that good, so I spent a good deal of time figuring out the material. After a lot of tests, I finally found a setup that worked for me. My objects already had a specular texture (grayscale) so I used that as an input for Metalness, and then I used another texture (a metalic texture) for Reflection Glossiness. Then I set the materia’s Roughness to 0.5 and then adjusted the Reflection color and Amount to something I liked.
The result of all these tweaks is the image you see below. I really like how it looks, and that “peeled varnish” adds to the realism of the scene (that’s the reason I wanted to use those specular and metallic maps).
I did the same for the lamp’s material and moved the camera closer to the lamp.
And here’s a close up shot of the lamp. It looks pretty good, and the maps add to the realism.
Now I only need to add some post effects like bloom, to make the scene look better, but that’s something for later.